Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Wicked



What does it mean to be good or evil? Is there a concrete line that splits the two or do they mingle to the point of no separation? Last Thursday was the happiest night as M. Sarah and I sat in the darkened theater and watched the glorious musical "Wicked". The phrase which is witch" plays in my mind. How do we trully judge one's wickedness? Yes we are all wrapped in sin but sometimes sin comes due to circumstance. Elphaba was not bad from the beginning. I saw in her a lost and lonely witty young woman who was hurt by the world. Everyone ostricized her for her green skin...even her own adopted father hated her while her real father.. the wizard wanted her for his own ends. Yet she was so loving... so selfless. In her I see so many in my own life who resemble her. I even see myself... a small girl who did not speak a word to anyone throughout school as they all shunned me for my difference. In her I see a friend whom I come to cherish...in her I see all of us struggling within ourselves to find our purpose. What is goodness anyway? Elphaba learns quickly that all good deeds only end in punishment and suffering so she gives up and rises above her pain by becoming wicked. Yet, is this justification for wickedness? Must we rise above our struggles and the hurt by turning bad and doing evil to others? This is where the line between good and evil blurs in this musical...and not just in this musical but I feel in life as well. I personally tried so hard to be good to others and to care for them...I tried to follow Christ's example and do good deeds. Yet, I find myself struggling and instead of seeking God I often seek my own desires and then I hurt others...even my own friends and loved ones. Should all this be justified I wonder? Seeing this show opened my eyes to myself and to those I know in so many powerful ways but it also made me question where goodness really lies. Finally the friendship between Elphaba and Glinda touched me so. I wished and longed for such friendship my whole life yet I realized recently that no best friend stays with you forever....only God is our friend who will never leave us. I am so thankful to Him for letting Sarah come with me to this show. Thank God for her company and for the happiness she felt from seeing this musical. Thank you Lord for letting us enjoy your gift...to enjoy life. Yes, God's gift of life to us is true goodness...if we stay in his path the line between good and evil will never blur...I trully believe this.

No comments:

Post a Comment